Water is very important content. With out water there is no life in earth. We use water in so many ways in our daily life.Water is needed for growing food, keeping ourselves clean, generating power, controlling fire and most importantly to stay alive! This list is simply non-ending. This shows that water is an integral part of our daily life and we are heavily dependent on it.
Water conservation by its name can be easily identify what it means. It is just giving our part in saving our precious resource water for future use.
When we say about water conservation, a question simply crreps into one’s mind that what is the actual need of saving water? There is so much water present on the earth? The simple answer to this question is that fresh, clean water is a limited resource. Most of the planet is covered in water, it is salt water that can only be consumed by humans and other species after undergoing desalination, which is an expensive process. Therefore there is the need to save it!
THE ACTUAL CRISIS
- 97 % of the Earth’s water is salt water.
- The percentage of the world’s total water is available to drink is less than 1 %.
For global attention to this important topic of water conservation, United Nations General Assembly decided in 1993 that a day should be made of water conservation and it was decided that it would be held on 22nd of March every year. So we should also save water. Given below are some of the major tips about water conservation.
- Turn off the tap when you brush your teeth – this can save 6 litres of water per minute.
- Take a shorter shower. Shower can use anything between 6 and 45 litres per minute.
- Always use full loads in your washing machine and dishwasher – this cuts out unnecessary washes in between.
- Fix a dripping tap. A dripping tap can waste 15 litres of water a day, or 5,500 litres of water a year.
- Water your garden with a watering can rather than a hosepipe. A hosepipe uses 1,000 litres of water an hour.
- Always try to buy water-efficient goods when you need to replace household products. You can now buy water-efficient showerheads, taps, toilets, washing machines, dishwashers and many other water-saving products.
- Avoid long showers.
As we all know that small differences can make great changes. So let’s do our part to save life on earth!!